Tuesday 9 September 2008

Introduction

Hi

I have just taken up a post with the Leeds Jewish Represntative Council variously described as "community administrator", "community development worker" or "community communications and liaisons officer". The name is not important but what I am here to do is. I am part of LJRC's 'strategic plan' to help make Leeds a more vibrant, stronger and cohesive community (The plan can be found here: http://www.ljrc.org/Final-Report.pdf). Part of my job is to find effective ways to communicate with Leeds Jewry and one way I thought of was to start up a blog. However, the details can wait but just by way of introduction....

My name is Neil Clarke. I originally come from Reading (the sillicon valley of England, apparently) which has a small but very welcoming Jewish community. The Jewish education I received there was very valuable and you learn in a community like that, that every individual counts. On finishing school I came to the University of Leeds to study a BSc in Psychology-Philosophy. I then did a further two years study in philosophy at masters level. That means I've spent five years in Leeds and I have decided to stay!

The student community is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately due to distance, there is a disconnect between the community as a whole and the students. Luckily because of certain connections up here from my Reading days, because I often stayed during holidays and because I don't mind walking long distances on Shabbat, I have got to know the community. Now I'm living in North Leeds and hope to give something back to the community (and get more out of it). I will hopefully be able to provide a service for all segments of the community regardless of background, interests or affiliation.

Leeds is a good place to be. It is a 'modern' city but (more importantly for me) it is also on the edge of the Dales and Moors. Here, we are perfectly situated to enjoy the best of both worlds. Jewishly, there are shuls, shops, community centre, mikvah etc etc. Nothing infuriates me more than when I hear people 'do down' the Leeds Jewish community (that is, from people that are part of it). People seem to forget that Leeds is the third biggest Jewish community in UK (compared to where I come from it is positively massive!) Whilst there is a lot of work to do, that depends on the will of the people living here. Man-power wise and financially, Leeds has great potential, and I'm hoping this will show.

No comments: